The Sony PCM-R500 DAT Recorder was introduced in July 1997.
The Sony PCM-R500 is a 2 head rugged DAT recorder with enough features to satisfy even the most demanding professional, Sony's PCM-R500 offers balanced XLR analog, as well as AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital I/O.
The PCM-R500 also employs a durable 4 direct-drive motor tape transport for reliability and Super Bit Mapping noise shaping for better utilization of the high quality 20-bit resolution A/D converters.
A popular jog-shuttle knob is also featured.
The PCM-R500's transport ensures stability of the tape path and accurate tension control to increase the recorder's durability. The unit's four main motors are controlled independently by software servo. In addition to providing a more stable tape run, the 4-direct drive motor transport mechanism eliminates the need for drive belts. The PCM-R500 is also equipped with Auto Head Cleaning for improved sound quality.
The PCM-R500's audio interface includes digital I/O (AES/EBU, XLR, S/PDIF, RCA pin) and analog I/O (Balanced/XLR, Unbalanced/RCA pin). The unit also sports a 2-mode Din 8-pin remote. Additional features include Timer Play and MENU/AMS Dial.
Sony's Super Bit Mapping (SBM) encoding system is a form of digital processing that converts the superior-resolution audio signals from a 20-bit resolution A/D into 16-bit signals, which can then be recorded onto DAT tape. This process retains much of the original source's sound quality, bringing even higher audio quality to the l6-bit resolution DAT format.
The PCM-R500 had a suggested list price of 1,750 US Dollars or (1595 GBP).
* Analog Input/Output - Balanced (XLR), Unbalanced (RCA Pin)
* Digital Input/Output - AES/EBU (XLR), coaxial (RCA Pin)
* Number of channels - 2
* Tape format - Digital Audio Tape
* D/A resolution - Standard: 16 bit, Long Play: 12 bit
* Recording time - Standard: 120 Min, Long Play: 240 Min (w/ 120 min tape)
* Sample rates - 48kHz, 44.1kHz, 32kHz
* Frequency response - 20-20kHz(+/-.5dB), Long Play: 20-14.5kHz (+/-.5dB)
* S/N Ratio - >90dB
* Wow & Flutter - THD - Below measurable limits
* Phones - THD - Stereo phone jack
* Remote Interface - THD - Parallel DIN 8p-pin
* Weight - THD - Approx 7.2kg
* Dimensions - THD - 482(W) X 145(H) X 335(D) mm
Tape Transport Mechanism Type:
Model Using Similar Transport:
Sony PCM-R500 User Manual (PCM-R500.PDF)
Sony PCM-R500 User Manual
|Number of Pages||34|
|File Size||1.6 MB|
Sony PCM-R500 Service Manual (PCM-R500SM.PDF)
Sony PCM-R500 Service Manual
|Number of Pages||76|
|File Size||7.9 MB|
Click on thumbnails for larger image